The chart below shows the number and percentage of medical marijuana cardholders by state.
- Total population in medical marijuana states: 195,792,284
- Estimate of all state-legal patients: 2,354,403
- This is a rough estimate based on Maine’s numbers. There is a registry, but only a small fraction of California patients are registered.
- Many families have migrated to Colorado so that patients would be allowed to use medical marijuana, which increases the per capita number of patients.
- Registry is not open yet.
- Washington has a brand new patient registry. The first day for registrations was July 1, 2016.
Source: Marijuana Policy Project
Last updated: August 15, 2017